BrowseAloud is free software that reads Web pages out loud. It can help anyone who has difficulty reading online, including people with mild visual impairments, low literacy, English as a second language, or learning disabilities such as dyslexia.
To activate BrowseAloud, click on the BrowseAloud icon above. Once the toolbar has been activated, the BrowseAloud icon above will disappear and will remain hidden until the toolbar has been closed. The Browsealoud toolbar will remain open until you click the 'X' to close.
Once you have the BrowseAloud toolbar on your computer, just click on a selection of text. BrowseAloud will highlight the words and read them out loud.
Currently, BrowseAloud is not available for all sections of this website. New sections will be added soon.
Toolbar functionality of Browse Aloud plugin
- Closes the Toolbar - click the 'X' to close the BrowseAloud toolbar.
- Hover to Speak - Hover to Speak starts reading the page out loud - this feature is on by default
- Play - Play starts reading selected text or reads from the top of the page
- Translate Page - Translate Page provides written and spoken translations in multiple languages
- Generate MP3 - Generate MP3 converts selected text into an MP3
- Screenmask - Screenmask blocks distractions on screen with a tinted mask
- Text Magnifier - Text Magnifier enlarges text and reads it out loud
- Web Page Simplifier - Web Page Simplifier removes clutter from the screen, displaying only the main text
- Settings - Settings customize options to suit individual needs or preferences
- Help - Help shows a simple help page that explains what the browsealoud toolbar does
- Move the Toolbar - click and drag to move the toolbar to a different part of the screen
Please note: Not all features are available at all times within BrowseAloud.
PC - Internet Explorer version 11 and MS Edge, Firefox (latest release), Chrome (latest release)
Mac - Safari (latest release)
Chromebook - Latest release
iOS - Safari (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, latest release)
Android - Chrome (Android v3 and greater, latest release)